(6) 3x3" Squares
This recipe is packed with protein and the saffron offers a beautiful colour and aromatic flavour, saffron is also great antioxidant and is know to put you in a good mood.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3/4 cup skyr or thick Greek yogurt
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp saffron
- 4 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1tbs butter
- 1/4 cup dried barberries (optional)
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken shredded (I do it the lazy way and buy one premade from WholeFoods)
- Make sure your rice is soaked overnight. Strain the rice, and generously salt 1 1/2 cup of water add the rice and bring to a boil you don’t want to fully get ride of the water as soon as you see little holes remove and strain the rice set aside. Set your oven at 350°
- Add your yogurt, egg yolk and full egg mix well.
- For the saffron, ground the saffron add hot water maybe about 3 tbsp add a few ice cubes it intensifies the flavour let it sit for 5min.
- Mix the saffron and olive oil or avocado oil into the yogurt egg mixture.
- Add the rice into the yogurt mixture add a little salt and pepper, mix well now it’s time to assemble.
- You want to grease a 9x7 oven safe dish with butter and half the rice mixture followed by a layer of shredded chicken followed by the other half of the rice.
- Cover the dish with aluminum and pick a few holes. Cook in the over for 80min until crust is golden all over rest for 10min add some chicken and the barberries on top cut and enjoy.
Directions for the Barberries:
You want to fry the barberries with a little butter and 1tbsp of maple syrup for 2 min stir well. Set aside. Dried barberries are hard to find you need to go to a specialty middle eastern store, trust me it’s worth the trip as they add a lot of depth to the dish. But if you can’t go then the dish is still amazing on its own.